Saturday, November 6, 2010

We Are the CEOs of our Classroom

Management and organization is such a broad topic that I hope you will guide me in what YOU want to hear about on the blog. I welcome and encourage your responses and questions to the things I am talking about. This “blog is for you!” (I took that from the beer commercials.)  So get a beer or a glass of wine or a drink of your choice and think about the things that make you crazy with management and organization.


We really are in a great profession. It is hard right now and there are many changes taking place but it is still a great profession. We are the CEOs of our classroom. We are in charge and have many decisions to make on a daily basis. The good news is...when we mess up we can blame the children and after that we can blame the parents!!! THAT IS A JOKE!!! Although seriously, I think it happens way too often. As teachers we must be thoughtful, reflective, and honest. Sometimes, we own the problem and we have to look it square in the face and ask ourselves, “What are we going to do about it?”


Some of the things I have witnessed or experienced myself might be...loud children and children running from one end of the room to another.  We have to take a look at why these things are happening...my children were loud in the classroom because that is what I modeled. Yes, loud is one of my best qualities. I am loud, therefore, my children are loud. I had to change me before I could change children. Not their problem, my problem.


I witnessed children in a long, narrow classroom running from one wall at one end of the classroom to the other wall at the other end of the classroom...fast, furious, crazy, loud, laughing. The teacher looked at me in horror and asked what to do. I simply moved tables to block the “race track” and the running stopped. The problem wasn’t the children, it was the room arrangement. So many things to think about and reflect on...and we will.


See you next weekend...and keep on doing The Teacher Dance!

No comments: